Whiterock, as this land has been called for years, is the core land base managed by Whiterock Conservancy (WRC) along the Middle Raccoon River. Whiterock, a 4,300 acre contiguous land tract, is part of a multi-phase gift from the Garst family to WRC. The land has long been the centerpiece of the Garst family’s pride, history, and identity.
From the Garst Home Farm, where Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev visited in 1959, south along an 8-mile stretch of the Middle Raccoon River, the Garst Family has farmed, recreated, hunted, and lived on this land since the 1800s. In 2004, the family began the process of gifting the land to Whiterock Conservancy in an effort to forever protect the land. In 2006, WRC became a 501c3 nonprofit land trust, allowing for Whiterock Conservancy to accept tax deductible donations and formally become a part of the growing land trust conservation movement.
We have dedicated our short history to the idea that land that is ecologically healthy and concurrently able to realize economic and social returns can protect itself by meeting human and environmental needs over time.