Summer Internship at Whiterock Conservancy
This position has been filled for 2018. If you are interested in other internship opportunities, please contact the appropriate staff member.
Whiterock Conservancy is a 5,500 acre non-profit land trust located along the Middle Raccoon River near Coon Rapids, Iowa. The working landscape is a mosaic of agricultural and natural lands that are open to the public for recreation. Summer is a busy season on our 40 miles of backcountry trails!
Duration: 10 – 12 weeks
Location: Coon Rapids, IA
Duties: The intern will assist the land manager and hourly staff with duties including, but not limited to:
- Moving cow-calf pairs throughout the pastures
- Maintaining temporary fences to manage goats as part of a savanna restoration
- Conduct bird monitoring in pastures
- Assist with vegetation surveys in both pasture and savanna
- Conduct occasional public outreach on programs on livestock programs
- Use GPS, GIS, and standard office packages for data entry and analysis
Pay: Pay is $350/week with housing provided.
Skills/qualifications: The ideal candidate will be interested in the intersection of pasture programs, animal health, and natural lands restoration. Experience with livestock and farm equipment is desired.
Duties will be physically demanding and require the applicant to be a fit, motivated individual and require the ability to traverse rough terrain on foot.
Work Environment: This position requires both office and field work. Successful candidates will be able to work independently and as part of a team. Pasture and savanna restoration work is physically demanding and may require work in inclement weather. A valid driver’s license is required.
To apply please submit the following application materials to Rob Davis:
- A cover letter outlining your qualifications and why you want this position
- Resume, including two references with contact information
- Your college transcripts (unofficial)
Email materials to email@example.com by March 16th, 2018 by 5:00 p.m. for consideration.